esmaspäev, 24. veebruar 2020

Live the Rhythm of Riga. How we didn't go to Lidl.










I was excited about my breakfast since yesterday morning, because all I could think of was how good the oatmeal was. And the breakfast buffes rarely have something that I like and what wouldn't be croissant, pancake or something else good, but unhealthy. So I grabbed my coffee, a bowl and beelined straight to the hot meal area. The cehfs had decided to greet us on this lovely Monday morning with runny semolina porridge. I put the bowl back and very dispiritedly took some pancakes, a bit of potato salad and something that looked like savory carrot cake.

I googled some more and we went out once again to give another shot o finding the House of the Blackheads. And the Town Musicians of Bremen. And then the gallery, where Scott bought me the earrings yesterday, because he had decided that he might want the painting of a mosquito they had there. Didn't find the musicians. Once again when the Google Maps told me that here they are, all I could see was the church wall and a cat house. It didn't seem likely that the musicians would be hiding out there. But what we found was the House of the Blackheads. And the main square. We also found the gallery, which huge wooden doors were securely closed and locked. Scott called their number and apparently got someone out of the bed at 10am. But he did find out that the gallery will be opened 1pm today. I googled some more and found out that the town musicians are placed near the other wall of the church we were walking by earlier. We took some pictures of them, went back to the hote, packed out bags to stop by in Lidl and start our way to Sigulda after that.

I had previously looked at the map and found that Riga is nicely covered with Lidls and several of them on our way home. I had planned to stock up on grocieries big time. Where the first Lidl was supposed to be, there was a construction site. We kept on driving. Also next one turned out to be still work in progress. And once again I googled. Turned out that currently they are working on building 10 Lidls and in 2020 they are planned to be opened. At the moment we can go and shop in Rimi should we wish so. We drove to Sigulda. For two euros we could walk around in the ruins and enjoy the views of bare trees. The cable car doesn't run in the winter.

We decided to live on edge and be adventurous with the food. Instead of driving back to the town of Sigulda, we will see, what are the options on the road. For a while it seemed that there will only be a Circle K and a kebab joint. So... I googled. Turned out that if we would be ready to starve for 10 more minutes, in Ainaži there will be one of the noblest restaurants of the country outside of Riga. We parked and stepped in. There were two more tables occupied. And one of those, 6 Estonians just leaving. The waiter tried, very unsuccessfully to direct us to the darkest and furthest corner in the dining area and didn't seem pleased at all when we asked, if we could take the table at the window. We ordered oven baked baguettes with cheese and prosciutto, prawns with mango salsa, tomato soup (for me) and gulash soup (for Scott). Totally unplanned we got a great lunch instead of the hot dogs.

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar