laupäev, 22. detsember 2018

Go blue. Sheeps, Larry and cart stealer








Dear reader, I know, it's been few months, since I promised to write about the savings on highways in US and Larry's house and weed and everything, you can subscribe to here. And I'm sure, you've been impatiently waiting for it, because, what else can be more exciting than weed, right? But before I write about all those topics, I want to write about the blanket. I'm still not happy with the bedding habits here. As I've said before, the blanket covers have still not been launched in this country and people sleep with the combo of blanket and sheet. Which is not a surprise, because they also still use checks to pay for stuff. Anyway, the blanket + sheet combination has been driving me nuts, because they never remain nicely aligned with each other. And on top of that we have few lighter blankets here, which were not enough on chillier nights, so I ended up sleeping under a sheet, two blankets and a fleece. And there's also a down blanket, which I tried once and woke up 4 pounds lighter, after sweating those 4 pounds out during the night. Had to squeeze the sheets in the morning. In Tallinn we have a nice lightweight and warm lamb wool blanket and since the prices for lamb wool blankets start by around 400 USD in this country I decided to bring one from Estonia. Or rather I decided that Scott will bring one with him. I ordered it, nice and warm and two-layered and Scott did bring it over. I also bought a cover for it. First one in this country probably. Well, anyway, we tried our best to sleep under the new blanket, but after the third night had to admit that the blanket is so damn heavy that it's even difficult to turn a side under it. So, I unstiched the layers yesterday and now we have two lamb wool blankets. Not as warm and soft as the one in Tallinn, but light and inside a cover!

So, now all the other promised topics. Two houses down from us lives Larry. In a fairly nondescript white house. While during the day the house is just white and plain, after dark Larry turns on the blue light that lights up the whole wall and is visible to the furthest end of the street. If that blue would be blinking, it would be like a parade of police cars, protecting the prime minister. When I saw it for the first time, we were walking home in the night and I mentioned to Scott how ugly that lit wall is, Scott thought that it might not be a good idea to say it so loud that Larry can hear. But I think, he has the right to know.

There's an interesting phenomenon on the highways here - I've seen three lanes in several places on the highway, of which the third one sometimes is open, sometimes closed for the traffic. For the later case there are huge signs above the lane that say "Lane closed on the road". Since the roads in Michigan are just as bad as the streets in Tallinn, I can safely assume that it's to save money - if it's not used, it doesn't wear.

And lastly, about the weed, to pay off the fall debts. Several times last fall we ended up getting plain weed when buying cilantro and basil. We wanted to make cilantrohummus, but no matter how much of the herbs I threw in, the most that hummus tasted, was like fresh grass. Or not that fresh. Same with the pesto I made of the "fresh basil".

Some more fresh news too. Since it had been several months that I last visited TJ Maxx yesterday, I also took a cart. It's something I don't do usually, because, if I can't hold the stuff, it's easier not to buy it. Anyway, I had put a sweater and two shirts in my cart and after returning to it after taking a look at purses and pajamas, it turned out that some bastard had just stolen it. Not that it would have been too difficult for me (unlike for those Americans, who drive from door to door) to walk those 20 steps to the entrance to get a new cart, but TJ Maxx is usually selling only few copies of each item and I couldn't find new sweater and shirts. Anyway, I had found some other things to try on and made my way to the fitting rooms, where I found my sweater and shirts from the stand, where people put the stuff they don't plan to buy. Well, at least that. Anyway, I ended up buying that shirt. And also a comfy night dress. Anyhow, my favourite aisle in that store is the one with night and lounge wear. I couldn't care less about all those fancy dresses and things, but all the nice and soft pajamas, nightshirts, warm slippers and so on I would take home in a heartbeat. That brings me to the next topic, which is Christmas presents. Got mine last night and it turned out to be a soft and warm blue lounge set. From Uniqlo and matches great with my Uniqlo slippers.

The plan for the day was to do nothing. Just sleep, read, eat, watch TV. I was just finishing my second cup of coffee when I saw Rebecca pulling in. She was on her cookieround and brought us a jar of homemade cookies. Brunch continued.

Few months ago I wrote about the lipstick that I ordered that left a sandpaper layer on my lips and how I had to claim my money back through Paypal. Obviously the seller wanted to make up for the inconveniences I went through and had sent me another lipstick. What I should do with it, I have actually no idea.

I have never understood, how Love Actually is so popular. I think, I had watched it twice and it's one the most pointless and dragging movies I've seen. But it's December and as usually there are lists of best Christmas movies being published everywhere and Scott, who hadn't seen it yet, suggested to watch that masterpiece of the century. First 20-30 minutes into the movie I couldn't really understand, why I never liked the movie, but after dragging myself through the next 1h45m of stretching the rubber band, I very clearly remembered why I never was impressed by it. 10 absolutely not connected love or cheating stories, cheesy ending and otherwise lot of cliches. Anyway, today morning Scott had nerve to say that since he suffered through Love Actually the next movie choice should be his. Good thing, I wasn't left speechless and was able to let him know, what I think of the gesture I made for my dear husband, who had never seen the Christmas romance of the century and yawned those more than two hours in front of the TV.

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar