neljapäev, 30. juuli 2020

Go Blue. How they almost kicked me out of the hotel.








The husband of Sowjet woman will not be troubled by little setbacks. In December our washing machine broke and it wasn't reasonable to repair it or get a new one. Clearly we didn't consider the option of laundromat, where we could have had some masquerade with all the other customers. Since our US home has never needed a wash-basin, we also didn't have one handy. But what we did have, was a growing pile of clothes needing to be washed. Making mountain out of a molehill and a moment later my husband had lined a bog laundry basket with garbage bags and presented me a McGyver worthy wash-basin. The drier luckily was working, so it was enough to throw clean stuff in it.

Dear reader, did you know that there's a food item called pickle chips? When Scott added the mentioned chips to his food order, I thought of the usual load of chips or french fries, covered with pickles. Turned out, in this country you can deep fry everything, even sliced pickles. As proof take a look at the picture above.

Continuing with food - the other day I happened to see a video of bacon and cinnamon rolls and since we had both, flour and cinnamon that we needed to consume, we ordered some bacon and I have to tell that with the maple glaze it was an amazing pastry. As we are not hosting any big reception under current circumstances, only Rebecca stopped by to visit once, we ended up with a few too many of them. But since the children are starving in Rwanda, instead of throwing two stale rolls away, I just sliced them, soaked in egg-cream-baileys mixture and fried them as extra fancy french toast. Zero waste at its best!

They loaded all our super comfy terrace furniture on the container, but to avoid just looking at the empty terrace for the last four days, every morning we dragged the only armchair left out there for me (Scott used our pocketable hiking chair) and used empty cardboard boxes as side tables. Land of McGyver, tellya that!

Although I somewhat am collecting the Starbucks mugs, I still didn't have the Detroit one. It always seemed to have a little to dark colors, but now I decided that this time the mug will join me on the flight to Tallinn. As well known, Starbucks is only selling their mugs in respective countries and cities. Knowing that Starbucks has their cafe in Detroit Airport, we didn't take a separate trip to Detroit to get a mug. Well... The airport cafe was closed until further notice.

With great joy I discovered that despite only having three restaurants opened in airport, it's possible to also get a salad there, not just burgers and hot dogs. Or rather the US idea of salad (a pile of greens, two slices of chicken, a few olives, a few pieces of cucumber and little jar of dressing). I grabbed the mentioned box of health and vitamins alongside with a little slice of cheesecake and my total was over 18 USD. For the same money I could have gotten six portions of chicken nuggets. Or seven hot dogs... No wonder they only advertise the prices of fast food and the you'll learn about your investment in lettuce industry only in check-out.

For our last night we had booked a hotel. Through a 86F weather we walked into the lobby and as the first thing they took our temperature. From forehead. Scott was all good, I got told number 101,1F (if you, just like me don't know the relationship of Fahrenheit and Celsius by heart, the number means 38,4 by Celsius) and informed that if it doesn't go down within next minute, they'll cancel the booking and we'll be on our own to find a new place to sleep. Since I know exactly how I feel, when I have over 38C fever, I was convinced that the temperature was higher due to the outside sunny weather and indeed, already 30 seconds later they measured below 100F and we could go to our room. I was sure that taking the temperature from forehead with this kind of weather is such a next level of stupid that my blood pressure will add some to the temperature, but apparently not. The room was nice and cozy, but the bathroom and toilet so high-tech that we didn't even manage to check even half the functions of the toilet. Anyway, I can't imagine ever using a non-heated toilet seat ever again. While taking the shower, we could send music from phone to ceiling loudspeakers through a touch panel on mirror and wash your hair while listening Nancy Sinatra.

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar