reede, 24. juuli 2020

Go Blue. State of Affairs on the Western Front

 
Mid of July we had the need to fly to US again. Since both parties had closed their borders for the other, we packed all the documents we could think of to prove the right to enter the country. The first one, our marriage certificate was needed already in Amsterdam, where it took about 15 minutes to go through all the checks and permits. In Detroit, there was only one lane this time - US citizen shared the lane with all kinds of, yet very few immigrants. Once at the counter, the young dude asked, if we have already filed the papers, clearly indicating that this Eastern-European must want to move to US for a better life. Passport stamped, we had to go to have our temperatures checked. Neither of us had fever and we got out quickly. However, one more stop back in the passport control was needed, where before granting the right to enter they checked the results of temperature.

After finding at home that our realtor had cleaned out our fridge and freezer so well that even the mouse was gone, I was only happy to have some apples, carrots and cheese from Estonia.

I had the ambitious plan to go for a quick run after sitting my butt fat for hours on planes and in airports. Instead I fluffed my pillow and turned in at 9pm. Some time later, through my sleep I heard Scott telling me that he'll be out shopping.

Despite everything that's going on in the rest of the country, the situation in our city seems to be more or less under control. There are less cases than on average, everyone is wearing a mask everywhere and where possible, people keep distance. On Wednesday I managed to go for a run and on a smaller path in woods I noticed a mom with two kids, one in stroller and other one in strap walking towards me. I planned to keep as much on the right as possible, but then I noticed that the lady had already switched to the reverse gear and is speeding back forward away from me. A little while later she had the chance to pull aside in the woods and waited there until I had passed them. Considering the size of the woods behind our home, I usually run 2-3 loops there and so merely 12 minutes later I was running into them again. I pointed out which way I was heading and they were choosing another one. The same happened with most of the people I saw there walking or running. Either one was either turning around or stepped aside on a wider place.

In the city center there are few main streets closed for the car traffic, which enables the restaurants to expand their terraces on the streets so that customers can keep their distance. Inside the restaurants everyone was supposed to wear masks, you could only remove it after sitting down. Going to powder your nose you had to put the mask on again.

Bigger part of the free time we have spent on the upper deck sipping wine and watching squirrels, skunks, fireflies and raccoons. We have sorted our stuff, unpacked and packed. Visited Scott's mom and aunt and also Rebecca and went for few quick shopping trips. In the entrance masked employees are greeting you, offering disinfection and store floors have stickers marking the direction you should walk in the aisles. It also turned out that not everyone is looking down and my husband noticed the stickers after spending 10 minutes in the store and having me pointed them out to him. Trader Joe had marked waiting spots with chalk near the entrance and only let the next customer in after someone had exited. They also disinfected all cart handles before handing them to the next customer.

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar