laupäev, 9. veebruar 2019

Local chicken



Some more attentive readers might have noticed that after seven years I've started to eat some meat again. At some point my food was reduced to cheese, quark, berries, fruits and veggies and frequently a little fish. It became so monotonous that I couldn't face eating another carrot or bell pepper and cheese. So I added some chicken and a little beef to my menu. In US the chicken was all good - we bought some chicken breasts fattened up for the supermarket shelves lovingly by Amish community and the chicken left the pan as expected - juicy and crispy. Knowing, what our media writes about US origin chicken in Estonia, I was sure that the chicken from Estonian farm is even better. Prisma had Rannamõisa chicken in their assortment and so I brought two breasts home. Should someone ever need to slice some tires with kitchen knife, feel free to call me - I have gone through all the needed trainings and would be able to cut the tires in my sleep. I threw the slices on the pan as usual, but after that everything was very much non-usual. First the whole kitchen smelled worse than the train when passing the paper manufacturer few years back and then the pieces of chicken started to disappear in the gray fluid that was on the pan. I chewed my way through some of the rubber pieces and discarded the rest.

Next day I went to the market to see, if they carry some chicken, raised by local Amish. Turned out that all the stalls in the meat aisle only offer the poultry from Tallegg, but I considered those too close of relatives to the Rannamõisa ones and didn't dare to buy. Then I found a meat-shop-restaurant on the market and they had 4 chicken breasts on the display they claimed to be from a small farm in Saaremaa. I got two. When I cut them, the knife did slide through and when I fried them, they got nice and crispy without creating a wastewater depot on the pan first. And they even tasted like a pan-fried chicken should taste. Despite all that after all the chickenadventures I'm pretty much fed up with the chicken. So, yesterday I got a piece of beef from the same store that carries Saaremaa chicken. Considering the fact that my new food plan only allowed me to eat 2,6oz of it, I can feed myself with that piece of beef for at least 9 more dinners :)

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar