kolmapäev, 26. september 2018

Go blue. Like.

For my ear, used to the best Oxford English, the sound and way of speaking of younger generation here, mainly female, sounds like an old loudspeaker in train stations.
“Well, it’s like the …”
“Yeah, I know, it’s like OMG!”
“And then I looked like …”
“Like seriously?”
“Like I still can’t believe it, you know”
“OMG, I haven’t seen you like a week!”
Depending of the context the voice is either “sexy” nasal or shrill and screeching. Because, well, if you haven’t met like for several days, with a bit of yelling you can’t go wrong. Anyway, to get to the point, this “like” has taken over my speech. Like seriously. Each one of my sentences has at least one “like”. But I blame it on the fact that I’m not native speaker and more often than not, the “like” is there to fill the silence when I can’t find the right word right away and would need to dive into dictionary otherwise. Interesting tho, what kind of excuse do those young ladies have?


Well, anyway, we were like in the restaurant and Scott asked the waitress about crab burger. Turned out, our waitress couldn’t comment on that, because she’s apparently not eating seafood. We took it as a personal touch that the servers only recommend things, they have actually eaten and Scott decided to live on the edge and risk it with the burger. That case reminded me of a drugstore visit, about 10 years ago. I was looking for something for corn and asked for recommendation. They had band aid as well as cream. To what the pharmasist rolled her eyes so that it’s a wonder, she didn’t get dizzy and told me that she doesn’t know, because she hasn’t used those. I’m slightly confused, what good is a pharmasist that can only recommend medicine based on her own experience. Unless the pharmasist has a really weak health and is treating at least 10 different illnesses constantly.


Coming back to that restaurant visit, we happened to go to that same Carl & Lu pub, where they have the up-and-down quality tuna tacos. Anyway, we had learned from our mistakes and asked already before placing the order about the level of searness  of the tuna. The tacos that arrived on the table were identical to the ones, we had there the first time. For the main course I had the seared tuna again and asked them to bring the dressings on side (which they did… each in disposable plastic can just like the coleslaw that came with the tacos) and replace the mashed rise porridge with asparagus. Scott took the mentioned crab burger. We were satisfied.

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar