laupäev, 6. oktoober 2018

Experience Washington. Doghnut worry, be happy!









Mike and Diane wanted to make us eggs in the morning, but well-prepared tourists had done their homework and chosen the best brunch place in town. After arriving there, it turned out that not only every citizen of Washington D.C. but also most of the inhabitants of the two neighbouring states had chosen that restaurant for their Saturday brunch and the optimistic waiting time for a table was approximately 2 hours. So, we turned on Plan B a.k.a. with help of Yelp and map found Wicked Waffle around the corner, where they offered around 30 different waffles. Scott chose his with salmon and I mine with mango and brie.

Our main plan today was the Arlington National Cemetery. It's a United States military cemetery in whose 624 acres the dead of the nation's conflicts have been buried, beginning with the Civil War, as well as re-interred dead from earlier wars. With more than 400,000 interments, the cemetery has the second-largest number of burials of any national cemetery in the United States. Most of the tourists go there however to see the eternal flame memorial to U.S. President John F. Kennedy and the change of the guards by the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Also Scott's dad, previous marine, had the right (and wish) to be buried there, but that's not how it went 7 years ago. So, now, once we had the plan to go to D.C., Scott decided to take his dad's ashes and spread it in Arlington. We watched the guard change by the tomb of the unknown soldier and walked down the hill until we found a nice green area under a big tree over it and that's where Scott spread the ashes. We hoped to have made a good choice for the final rest place for his dad.

My light head ache in the morning had turned into a huge migraine and neither of the flagships of the chemical industry was of any help - not the endless ounces of coke nor the migraine tablets. And to make it worse, there was only one restroom (in the entrance) for the whole huge area and the need to run back there, from middle of the cemetery didn't improve my migraine or my mood. Anyway, at some point, the head ache started to release and I was ready to conquer the next skyscraper. We paid 22 USD each and made our way up to the observation deck of the CEB tower. We had a view over the Arlington Cemetery (that we just saw on the ground too) and Ronald Reagan Airport (that we planned to see from ground level tomorrow) and few more things. The free views from Old Post Office Tower were better.

We remembered from yesterday that Barracks Row had several good looking restaurants, so we decided to have a snack there. After the Balkan restaurant basically flipped the bird to us, we chose a fish restaurant with a lovely terrace and had some baby octopus, fish and chicken and fried calamari there. We also happened to arrive there right in time for the happy hour and all that food did cost 20USD + taxes + tip.

We had planned to go to a Cuban restaurant with Mike and Diane in the evening, but once we were back, I didn't manage anything with my migraine but falling into bed. 45 minutes later, once it was time to leave, I thought optimistically that I'm feeling better and any minute now the headache is gone and dragged myself into the car. Their youngest son was our designated driver and all the 15 minutes it took us to get there, I was convinced that I'm gonna hitch a ride back home with him too. When entering the restaurant, the smells added the nauseousness to my headache and I couldn't really understand why I didn't go back. But I have to admit that getting out and moving a little did some good and the migraine did leave soon after arriving. I still didn't feel like eating anything, so I ordered just a salad. Although, my hopes and expectations are never high, because I know that the conception of a filling salad is still new in this country, I'm still very much surprised every time seeing the haystack being placed in front of me. Especially considering the money they are charging for cutting those few veggies in halves. They didn't disappoint me - my salad that did sound pretty amazing on paper was a bunch of green leafs, three pieces of asparagus, two halves of canned artichoke hearts, two halved tomatoes, some slices of palm hearts and probably few more tidbits. By that time I was feeling already significantly better and eyeing jealously Scott's shredded beef.

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar