neljapäev, 11. oktoober 2018

Go blue. Home gourmet

Few weeks ago I posted an overview of the places, we usually go out to eat. Since I'm convinced that all the readers are keen to learn about what we eat at home, here is also an overview of the home gourmet. Some of the things will at a later time be also published as recipes. But can't tell when, because last few years, posting the recipes hasn't been very active.


The frugal eastern european couldn't understand, why would anyone order a pizza in this country: first you pay at least 25usd + taxes for the pizza, then for the delivery and then there's the tip for the already mentioned delivery. Total cost of the delivered pizza was around 35usd. So, starting last winter we always keep few packages of Trader Joe's pizza dough in our freezer and home made tomato sauce and garlic oil in the fridge. I like to make (and Scott likes to eat) the thin crust pizza, where I spread some garlic oil on the edges so it comes out really nice and crunchy.


Usually the night before I fly out we have been eating seafood, mostly scallops, once also lobster tails. This time quickly pan fried scallops with grilled asparagus.


Scott's special No 1: walnut and chocolate chip cookies. And this is the size of cookie I get when I only ask for one :) 


Scott's special No 2: mac'n'cheese, with so much cheese and that nice crust.


The mangoes are so sweet here. And ripe. And cheap in compare to Estonia.



The frugal eastern-european vol. 2: Hello Fresh. I found a code for Hello Fresh, which gave a discount of 35 USD. I chose two dinners for two people, with total amount of 35.96, used the code and few days later, a box full of food was delivered for just 96 cents. I have mentioned before that the services, where you get recipes and all the groceries needed to prepare the food delivered, are pretty popular in US. This time one of the foods was mushroom ravioli in creamy mushroom sauce with crunchy topping. Took me 25 minutes to prepare it.




Since most of our weekends were filled with some kind of trips, we had planned to have a long nice brunch on a Saturday we actually did stay home. Last year in Charlevoix we noticed french toast soaked overnight in prosecco and made a mental note to try it at home. Since the french toast is the best with heavy and dense bread, we made our way to Zingerman, in the hope to get the right bread. In Zingerman, we figured that the regular white bread is for pussies and we left with a huge loaf of chocolate-cherry bread. We also decided that soaking the bred in prosecco is for pussies and so I put half of the loaf, cut nicely in pieces into a glass form and poured egg-milk-liqueur-vanilla-mix over it. The other half I prepared in a bit more traditional way, meaning soaking the slices in egg-milk-mix and pan fried them. Since in this country the pancakes and french toast are paired with bacon and maple syrup, Scott had his with bacon and I mine with maple syrup, blueberries and mangoes. Complimented all that with mimosas.


Frequent dinner is also grilled salmon with veggies.


And those ever so good lemon squares that I don't make as squares anymore but round, which makes the crust especially crunchy and edges caramelized. Also a lot more lemon than previously. 


One of our favourites: creamy salmon pasta with white wine. At least once a month. I haven't been able to find leek in US, will add that next time in Estonia too.



Some time last winter we thought it would be a good idea to get 3 lb of frozen pineapple, but the idea of eating it as well didn't strike as good apparently. So, there it was in the freezer, for months and months until I finally used it in pineapple salsa.


The mentioned pineapple salsa was also used in the chicken tacos.


I also made some homemade "Snickers". Only Scott didn't really appreciate it anymore after eating a third of it one evening. Go figure...


And my discovery of the year, spaghetti squash. Where have I been so far? I baked the squash, shredded into spaghetti, mixed with pesto and pan fried chicken and even Scott asked for another serving. 


Frugal eastern-european vol. 3: Second dinner of Hello Fresh. Pearl couscous with mediterranian veggies and sliced almonds. So good!


Scott's special vol. 3: brownies. Made the night before my flight, so I could take few with me :)

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar