kolmapäev, 6. september 2023

Bright lights and Toronto nights. Waiting for Godot

 









When I arrived at the airport in the morning, I was greeted by the usual state - dozens of people in line, while at the security belt there was one free slot after another. I still fail to understand, what are they all waiting for, just standing in line and not moving forward to empty security check? Godot? Handheld leading? In any case, lately I've started to just walk past the travellers as soon as I see that there are several free slots along the belt.

The flight departed on time, but it seems that the headwind was too strong for this tiny plane, so we still arrived 20 minutes late. My 50 minute transfer turned into a 30 minute run through the airport and through passport check. I got on as the second to last and had to chase a Lithuanian guy from my seat. Another delight for the last boarder is that there is zero space for luggage in the overhead lockers. The passengers had all very comfortably squeezed their blankets and pillows in there, and except for one lady, no one raised even an eyebrow even when I pulled them out and asked whose they were. At least I could place my bag relatively close to me.

For the first time I flew across the Atlantic in a tiny, 3+3 seat plane. The toilet was just so big that to pull soe toilet paper from the roll you had to squat between the toilet and the door with your back straight and then practically tear a strip from the roll that was placed mere centimeters from the floor. Trying it any other way, you would have either hit your head on the door or the toilet seat lid. An hour after taking off, the toilet was already in its usual puddled state, and while travellers using the toilet in socks are nothing new, I don't think I had ever seen someone go there completely barefoot. But it seems that he didn't see any problem himself, because throughout the rest of the flight he cultivated a lifestyle close to nature, went barefoot in the toilet and didn't waste water by flushing. I regretfully happened to visit this room once right after him...

At the beginning of the flight, the flight attendant announced that on today's flight we have meat stew with rice or lasagna as our choice of the meal. An hour later, that promise had been erased from their minds, and everyone was given the same box of food without asking for any preference. In the box, a sight of meatballs, mashed potatoes and green peas opened up. Let it be said that this meal was actually very tasty for airplane food. The Indian passengers behind me asked what kind of meat was in the food, was it pork? The steward replied that it's "normal meat".

Immigration was quick, more like a walk through. I took a Lyft and drove to the hotel.

I decided to make good use of the additional seven hours due to the time difference and walked to the park by the river, where beautiful views of the city skyline opened up. On the way there and in the park I met a couple of squirrels and one rabbit. Very cute.

On the way back, I grabbed a chicken wrap from a Lebanese bistro that could probably feed a smaller Rwandan village and even share with the neighbors. Half went into the fridge. And by 20:30 I was fast asleep.

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar