neljapäev, 23. august 2018

How I went to the dentist and what you can learn from it

To start in the beginning, I need to start with beginning of July when over night I got two gum infections. Since the left side pushed the infection quickly to the right side, I (naively) expected the right side to sort it out soon too and in few days I could continue my life as I know it. After eating painkillers for a week I went to emergency room. For 26 euros I got rinsing with the same mouth water that I was using already anyway and a bit of painkiller that was placed between gum and tooth. All that didn't change the situation more than just leaving me without 26 euros. So I called to most of dentist offices in Tallinn to find one that is not on holidays in July and where I could get an appointment before September. Found one. Basically the same procedure, but since they also took a panorama, I left that place with 45 euros less. By the end of the second week the pain started to decrease and I didn't have to take my carry-on to the drugstore anymore to bring the painkillers home. Fast forward three weeks and the gum infection was back, this time straight by the lower right wisdom tooth. I decided to go for the antibiotics. To think back a little, it must have been my first antibiotics in the last 20 years. Or even more, because I can't recall taking or not taking them in the school. At the same time I decided it was a good idea to have the mentioned wisdom tooth removed. Because I had consulted Dr. Google and turned out that the doctors don't remove the wisdom tooth, if there's the gum infection. So, I made an appointment in the face and jaw surgical center. So far so good. But I talked to my dentist about the plan and decided that removing the tooth doesn't fit my plans and changed the tooth removing appointment into consulting appointment. So, we'd have time to discuss and plan it and then find a suitable time in autumn to pull the little bastard out. As said, went to my consultancy appointment on Wednesday and before I realized, I was shown my tooth without a mirror. Although it might have been somewhat confusing in the doc's office, there was no more confusion after looking in the mirror at home. The cheek without the tooth was way bigger than the cheek with the tooth was and without the tooth it hurt much more than with the tooth.

Got a prescription for another antibiotics and an extra strong painkiller from the doc. The painkiller was something to take once a day and was supposed to work its miracles for 24 hours. And I got the advise to take it before the anesthetic started to disappear and then next day based on need. Bought both of them right after leaving the dentist and since I thought that I can feel my tongue again, I also took the first painkiller. Anesthetic left, pain stepped in. That 24 hour painkiller didn't kill the pain at all. I consulted Dr Google again, whether I can mix and match different painkillers and compliment the strong one with the over-the-counter ibuprofen. Google was a bit hesitant, but kindly informed me that the given painkiller was analog for Vioxx. Vioxx itself was banned in US after being on the market for 5 years, because it caused inconveniently lot of sudden deaths. And the mentioned analog didn't get approval from the drug committee in the first place. They must have sold all the already produced packages to the east block here. Threw the rest of the 6 pills away and called the medical line to get a second opinion. I found out that there is not much point to take ibuprofen, because it's from the same family, but I can eat some paracetamol. I had to pay drugstore a visit, because my medical box at home consisted mainly of ibuprofen based painkillers. Paracetamol worked and I slept through most of the night. By morning, the missing tooth used more space than yesterday.

Sincerely
Your Hamster

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar