laupäev, 28. juuli 2018

Literature Critic has spoken

I have a list of books that I have been wanting to write about, but busy as I am, the list keeps getting longer, but there's still no word put on paper. Or in the blog for that matter. Anyway, it's time to correct the mistake and here's the carrot and constructive critics.

Lauri Räpp - There's a Cafe at the End of the World

In the winter I borrowed from Gerli and read "Looking back at Tartu" from Lauri Räpp. It was really cool reading with lots of memories resurfacing. Well, I could remember most of the things, he wrote about apart from the house parties in Annelinn. Never visited one of those. They finished before I started to consume alcohol and visit parties.
Anyway, I noticed his new book in Apollo one day and when quick browsing told me that there's a chapter also about Hoi An, where I recently spent more than a week, I made my way, sorry, my fingers made their way to ester.ee (library database) and as soon as there was the information that someone had returned the book, I beelined to the library. Lady Luck was on my side and so I could walk home with the book.
On one side, it's like a travel book, on the other not the usual random travel diary. He writes smoother than a calm sea before sunset and makes you want to pack the bag again. Wait... No, it does not. The desire to pack the bags is a constant state of mind.

Tui Hirv - My Reykjavik
For a little while we had an idea to visit Iceland in the summer. However, loyal blog readers must know that this trip hasn't happened (yet). But in the planning phase I did start to read "My Reykjavik". And then I read it and read it and read it, mainly because I don't like to not finishing books after I've started reading them. It kind of feels more like waste of time than finishing lousy books. And there was some interesting information hidden under all that whining and critics. And then I extended the return deadline for another 3 weeks and kept reading. Finally, when I finished and returned the book, I had to pay fine too, because the total time spent on the book was more than one and half months. I think, the only books, that took me longer were Master and Margarita, which I also didn't like and Railway Bazar from Paul Theraux, which unlike My Rejkyavik was a great book, just really intense.
There are good books too in the My-series - whenever possible, I've always praised India, Mongolia, Guatemala, France and most likely several more. And there are extremely bad books in the series too. Bad for very different reasons - f.e. when the writer clearly dislikes the country and instead of writing about it through humour, there are 200 pages full of critics and whining. Or the whole book is just boring description of the country. Or it's just badly written.
The writing style of My Reykjavik was alright, but already in the first third of the book I was fed up with the author criticizing Estonia. I get - she ended up in heaven on Earth in Iceland and in compare to Iceland everything is so bad in Estonia that it's a miracle there are still some people left here. Even being an alcoholic is less bad there than it is here. Although reading about it gave me the impression that it's a way bigger problem there. I personally am glad that the author has found her place and doesn't need to suffer in the sh*thole and I'm also happy that she's far away from Estonia.
Disclaimer: I also didn't like My Iceland, so maybe it's impossible to write a good book about the country.

Leelo Tungal - Little Comrade

We first saw the movie in the cinema and then I decided that I want to read it too. I knew that the book with movie picture on the cover was second edition and my experience so far had proven that the newest one is never available in the library whereas the well read older ones are always there. So, without consulting Ester.ee first I made my way to the library... just to find myself in front of the shelf by "T" and see only one book by Tungal there which was definitely not desired Little Comrade. So I was keeping my eye harder than Bruce Willis in the legendary movie on ester.ee, but it seemed to be failed attempt. The ones, managed to grab one book, didn't plan to let it go apparently. Until the Lady Luck was smiling again and I got to borrow it from the electronic library. So I read it in my phone.
In the beginning I was somewhat annoyed with the 4-year old writing style, but got used to it pretty fast and it was very interesting reading. However, I have to admit, that despite having a lot left out (as it's always the case with book vs. movie) it was just as good.

Mihkel Raud - Where I am and how you can get much further
As mentioned previously this book only came with me home, because I noticed it on the counter in the library. But sometimes good things happen unexpectedly and so this book happened too. I finished Räpp and started with Raud. Read some of it with my third breakfast coffee, then some on the beach while sun and wind bathing, some later at home and half of Sunday and finished. Didn't find any life changing truths there and I do have my doubts ever getting further than Mihkel Raud, but it was a very entertaining reading. I like his ability to laugh at himself and also when critics are written through humour. So - absolutely recommendable self-aid book that didn't help me, but surely entertained me.

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar