laupäev, 28. juuli 2018

The One who asks


shall receive free cake. Even in Estonia. We were in Must Puudel the other day and ordered among other things salmon salads with quail egg. When the plates arrived, it turned out that the quails have started to give chicken eggs. I pointed that out and the girl took the salads back to the kitchen to investigate the issue. She came back and let us know that they are out of quail eggs. So I asked if we can get a discount (it doesn't matter that half the chicken egg is bigger than one quail egg, because quail egg is way tastier). She couldn't give us discount, but offered us cake on the house. We graciously agreed (they have delicious cakes), because we had planned to go to Gelato Ladies for ice cream anyway, so replacing ice cream with free cake was a no-brainer. And the Mississipi Mudcake still melted in my mouth. After we got out of the restaurant, it turned out that there is no replacing one with other and we better make our way to Gelato Ladies for some Pavlova ice creams. As usually I took one scoop with two flavours or so I thought. In check out it turned out that it was only me thinking it and they had managed to squeeze two scoops into that small waffle. The misunderstanding was solved quickly and they charged for one scoop only.

On the other hand I don't think, it's OK from the chef to replace or leave out some ingredients from the food depending of his mood or availability and not to mention that to the server. I get it that most of the people don't want to be "difficult" or are too shy and eat the food that was brought, but not everyone is that way. And the server will end up in a way more uncomfortable situation than it would have been, if she would have been informed about the replacement. And anyway, in most of the cases the customer should be asked first before making bigger changes. I just remembered a time from years ago when we were waiting for the ferry to Stockholm and having dinner in a nearby cafe. I had ordered mascarpone filled pancake with raspberry sauce. And I did order it because of the raspberries. They brought me pancake that was covered with chocolate. But on my plate those two don't belong together. Coming back from the kitchen, the waiter informed me that they are out of raspberry sauce. So I sent the pancake back and ordered a salad. My scale was happy. And I'm happy when my scale is happy.

Anyway, by now I'm convinced that the food that is not what's ordered, should be sent back more often. Yes, I'm aware that children are starving in Rwanda and most of the people doesn't want to be complaining bitches and eat what's brought, pay the bill and go to Facebook to complain about it. Instead of letting them prepare you a new meal. I get it. I'm the same mostly. Especially when eating out with bigger group. Recently I ordered a tuna steak in Tallinn, and thinking about the delicious tuna in Trühvel, I asked to make it medium rare. The tuna that arrived, had raised at least several generations of descendants, died seven deaths after that and on the grill overcooked. Even medium is to nicely said about it, from medium rare it was just as far as Friday is from Monday (when you look at it on Monday). And it was tougher than a chicken that has spent its life running around in the garden training for marathon and in old age killed for mercy. I left some of the tuna, because I wasn't able to chew it anymore and it was stuck between my teeth too. On the other plates, those, who ordered meat, I could see perfect medium rare. And we had waited over an hour for the food. So, I decided to just mention it to the server, getting the plates. Well, he asked, so can't blame anyone but himself. He promised to give the feedback to the chef. I think, the fisherman should get it too. 

Every time I'm away from keyboard, I have so many great ideas to write about. Like today - on my way to market I wrote a long, informative and hilarious blog post in my head. Getting home and enthusiastically sitting down with my laptop, in best cases I can recall 2 sentences. And sitting on the couch for example the bicyclers don't seem such idiots. And so I skip writing about them. Although I do have a very strong opinion about them.

One would think that with this heat, where the food I eat, is mainly cold water, colder wine and slices of watermelon, the weight disappears like by miracle. But nothing like that. Instead of Victoria's Secret model we have a Sponge Bob here that just absorbs all the liquid. Or like a commercial that presented paper towel that was like absorbing a liter of water into one piece of it. I just in case have started to prepare my husband that when we meet, he should keep his eyes out for Peppa the Pig.

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar